Monday, April 16, 2012

16 April 2012

I have been working full-time at Dielectric for one year and three months now.  I wish I had started this blog when I first started working. Since I didn't I'm going to have to see how far back my memory goes and get you all up to speed on my first full year and how it went.

My first day on the job was January 18, 2011.  My dad told me to be there at 7:30 a.m. and to go right into his office.  When I woke up that morning I was very excited and very nervous, I felt a wide range of emotions.  Even though I knew pretty much everyone who works here (because of working summers and my dad bringing me in as a little kid) I still felt like it was my first day at a new school.  I remember as when I got there and was sitting in my dad's office and was humming.  My dad told me "You're just like your grandmother, you hum when you get nervous." Zing!  He called me out.  I was nervous.  We had our initial intro meeting, which went very well.  This is when he told me "You are the S.O.B., the son of the boss."

For the next 7-8 months I worked in our cost estimating department.  Here I quoted different jobs and sent the quotes to either current or potential customers.  I learned about the different raw materials we used, how much they cost, how long it took to machine one part, and all the other capabilities the Dielectric had to offer that I really didn't know about.  I enjoyed this job, but I never really felt pushed and that it really wasn't difficult for me.  One day our COO, Perry, asked me to lunch and proposed a new task/job for me.  We went to Cousins Subs and here he told me he was unsure what was the best way to mentor me through out my career and get me ready for when I am handed over the reigns of Dielectric.  He came up with an idea of creating a prototype and low-volume production cell within Dielectric that I would operate.  We called it JR Prototypes.


No comments:

Post a Comment